FILE PHOTO: A tractor with cultivator sits idle after being delayed by wet weather earlier this month preventing central Illinois farmers from starting their spring planting of corn crops Monday, May 13, 2013 in Springfield, Ill. (AP Photo/Seth ...
oIn another case of the Obama administration investigating classified information improperly disclosed to reporters, the government is prosecuting a State Department expert on North Korea in a probe that appears to step into uncharted territory -- by declaring that a journalist is committing a crime in disclosing leaked information.During the investigation of State Department adviser Stephen ...
oA southeast Missouri bank employee is facing federal charges for allegedly embezzling nearly $400,000 from the bank.The Poplar Bluff Daily American Republic reports that Leslie Ann Eastwood Kirby of Poplar Bluff was arrested last week and is being held at a federal facility.Authorities say the discrepancy was discovered during an internal audit, and the FBI was alerted. Kirby, 38, worked as a ...
Heavy rainfall Monday night has again delayed the start of a project at Bridgeton Landfill to remove reinforced concrete pipes.The landfill owner, Republic Services Inc., said the project is necessary before a plastic cap can be installed on a section of the landfill to contain odors from a subsurface fire. But the smell is expected to be worse for several weeks while the work is ongoing.The ...
the May 28 edition of Esquire is a must-grab. In the mag, Pitt talks about his life with "Brangelina" and a big family, his lack of friends and his academic career at Mizzou --about which he has some regrets."I'd get so far and then want to do something else," says Pitt, the pride of Springfield Kickapoo High School."I mean, I'm two credits short of ...
Winds: From the SW at 5.8 MPH Gusting to 5.8 MPH
Thieves' Highway [DVD]
After the prison-set Brute Force (1947) and the mean-streets-of-New-York expos Naked City (1948), director Jules Dassin turned his eye to another element of modern life that characterized the dark side of the American postwar experience: long- ... ...
MARSTON, Mo. o A northern Illinois woman has her service dog back, a month after losing him in rural Missouri, eight hours from her ...
o Winds that ripped through Mount Olive's Main Street on Monday night destroyed four commercial buildings in the downtown business district and damaged at least 10 other properties, authorities say.No injuries were reported. The storm hit at about 10:35 p.m. Monday.James W. Pitchford, coordinator for the Macoupin County Emergency Management Agency, said the National Weather Service will be ...
ST. LOUIS (KSDK) - People are watching and waiting again today for potential severe weather in the Midwest and parts of the deep South. The NOAA Storm Prediction Center, part of the National Weather Service, has much of Illinois and a large portion of Missouri under a slight risk outlook for severe thunderstorms. A large upper level low pressure area, responsible for devastating tornadoes over ...
SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (AP) - An Illinois House committee has OK'd a measure to regulate high-volume oil and gas drilling in the state. The House Executive Committee voted 11-0 Tuesday to move to the full House a bill meant to kick-start hydraulic fracturing, "or fracking" in southern Illinois. Fracking uses high-pressure mixtures of water, sand or gravel and chemicals to crack rock ...
The Silex R-I School District will dismiss early Tuesday because of a water line break. All schools will dismiss at 11:03 a.m. and buses will run their regular routes at that time. There is no word on when the break will be fixed. Wednesday was supposed to be the final day of school and that is still the plan. ...
On the record
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler, Canada
After getting off the Greyhound bus I trudged through the Whistler Village to the bottom of Whistler Mountain, and there ...Keep reading
Have Your Say
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Kansas City PostKansas City Post | Kansas City, Ks News Agency
We work strenuously to bring our readers a completely independent perspective of Kansas City news. Our software programmers, editors, journalists and affiliated wire services are all dedicated to producing the best journalism possible.
This in a world where conflicts of interest pervade business empires, and political dynasties, and where a shrinking number of media proprietors are growing their interests at the expensive of diversity of media ownership. The Kansas City Post is an independent online newspaper. Our focus primarily is to produce the latest breaking stories out of Kansas City.
We also cover the nation. Regional news too is a priority, as is our extensive world news coverage. For a Kansas City weather report, local news, breaking international headlines, or what's happening in sports, the Kansas City Post is for you.
Our Business Centre too is active 24 hours a day, bringing you the latest market updates from key global centres like Tokyo, Sydney, London, Paris, Berlin, and New York. Foreign exchange rates are a regular feature, and we provides a vast range of general interest news covering topics like business travel, seniors, womens interest, and lifestyle stories.
University of Missouri researchers have found that simvastatin, a generic type of statin previously sold under the brand name "Zocor," hindered the positive effects of exercise for obese and overweight adults.
Statins, the most widely prescribed drugs worldwide, are often suggested to lower cholesterol and prevent heart disease in individuals with obesity, diabetes and metabolic syndrome, which is a combination of medical disorders including excess body fat and/or high levels of blood pressure, blood sugar and/or cholesterol.
"Daily physical activity is needed to maintain or improve fitness, and thus improve health outcomes. However, if patients start exercising and taking statins at the same time, it seems that statins block the ability of exercise to improve their fitness levels," said John Thyfault, an associate professor of nutrition and exercise physiology at MU.
Thyfault said that many cardiologists want to prescribe statins to all patients over a certain age regardless of whether they have metabolic syndrome; the drugs also are recommended for people with Type 2 diabetes. He recommends that cardiologists more closely weigh the benefits and risks of statins given this new data about their effect on exercise training. ...
- Depardieu to open restaurant in Russian city
- Radcliffe peoples confidant in pubs
- The key to braised ribs These chefs swear by ketchup
- New Italian restaurant-bocce bar opens in District
- Fire damages east side restaurant
- Four mn jobs created in two years Brazilian president
- Andhra markets GAME city at Cannes
- Former Nokia employees make Jolla smartphone
- Govt. employees take pledge against terrorism
- Civil Aviation Minister takes action against erring DGCA officers
- Climate change after cosmic impact may have wiped out wooly mammoths
- Venus Jupiter and Mercury will dance in spring twilight
- Alien Planets Could Shed Light on Earths Climate Future
- Aurora Nights In Finland Almost 60 In Time-Lapse Video
- Storms That Spawned Deadly Oklahoma Tornadoes Seen from Space
- Minnesota Legislature yields mixed results
- Catholic nuns put faith before church hierarchy
- The Starfleet Divide The Star Trek Universe Revisits One Of Its Great Debates
- At L.A.s UnCabaret 25 Years Of Letting It All Hang Out
- The Little Metronome That Wouldnt
- Growers making up for lost time in planting corn
- Contracted Simplot employee exposed to ammonia
- Chesapeake Energy to donate $1M to disaster-relief efforts in Moore OK
- Okla. tornado death toll revised down to at least 24
- Union Station evacuated because of suspicious package
- Yahoo buys blogging platform Tumblr for $1.1 bn cash
- Actavis buying Warner Chilcott in $8.5bn deal
- New business jet Challenger 350 launched by Bombardier
- South African regulator gives nod for Eskom wind power project
- Morgan Stanley to sell Indian private banking arm to StanChart
- Moscow safer than New York Russian minister
- Shocking lawsuit claims NY high schools admissions policy racially biased
- US charges three NYU researchers for taking bribes from Chinese company
- US senators approve immigration changes requiring fingerprint system at 30 airports
- Obama admin to hand over some CIA drone operations to Pentagon
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Kansas City Post headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Service dog reunited with Illinois owner after being lost in Missouri
- Andy Reids Aim to Improve the Chiefs
- Bomb squad called to KCs Union Station
- OVERNIGHT 101 rescued from Moore rubble
- Okla. tornado death toll revised down to at least 24