NORMAN, Okla. (AP) - More severe weather is in the forecast for parts of the central United States already reeling from powerful tornadoes this week. The Storm Prediction Center in Norman, Okla., says golf ball-sized hail, powerful winds and isolated, strong tornadoes could strike areas of Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana and Oklahoma on Tuesday. The area at risk does not include Moore, Okla., where ...
TUCSON, Ariz. (AP) - Authorities are set to release more than 300 photos on Tuesday that investigators took in the aftermath of the Tucson shooting rampage that killed six people and wounded former U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and 12 ...
ST. LOUIS (KSDK) - Ameren Missouri's Emergency Operations Center is open to provide support to communities impacted by Monday night's severe storm throughout most of our service territory. About 9,800 Ameren Missouri customers are without power. Service is expected to restored to everyone by the end of the day. People are reminded to stay away from downed power lines and call Ameren ...
But Monday's weekly update from Kansas Agricultural Statistics Service also says planting of the corn crop trails the 97 percent planted by the same time last year, and the average of 74 ...
Here is a look at the 25 deadliest single tornadoes in U.S. history. The list comes courtesy of the Storm Prediction Center at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). The list does not include the Moore, Okla., tornado of May 20, 2013. DATE - LOCATION(S) - DEATHS 1. 18 Mar 1925 - Tri-State (MO/IL/IN) - ...
Winds: From the WSW at 4.9 MPH Gusting to 4.9 MPH
Thieves' Highway [DVD]
After the prison-set Brute Force (1947) and the mean-streets-of-New-York expos Naked City (1948), director Jules Dassin turned his eye to another element of modern life that characterized the dark side of the American postwar experience: long- ... ...
President Barack Obama will be meeting with his disaster response team, including Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano, on Tuesday before delivering a statement on the devastating tornado that tore through the Oklahoma City suburbs Monday. Obama has declared a major disaster in Oklahoma, ordering federal aid to supplement state and local recovery efforts. The president also spoke Monday ...
Kansas City skyline SparkLabKC, a business accelerator program, has selected 11 regional startups for its initial assistance. The program helps the companies in an intensive 90-day program, the Kansas City Star reports. Companies in the inaugural 2013 class, include: The Briefcase; FolioMatch; Knoda; Prodigy Arcade; NeighborsGrow (Rockhill Strategic); Innovative Health Media; VolunteerMark; ...
Reuters/Landov As Tuesday dawned, the official death toll from the monster tornado that roared through Moore, Okla., on Monday stood at 51. But Amy Elliott, a spokeswoman for the Oklahoma state medical examiner's office, was warning that officials believe at least another 40 people had been killed. Some of those are thought to be children in one of the schools that destroyed by the ...
MOORE, Okla. (AP) - Rescue crews are working through the night after a monstrous tornado barreled through the Oklahoma City suburbs, demolishing an elementary school and reducing homes to piles of splintered wood. Officials say at ...
WICHITA, Kan. - Kansas agencies and volunteers were preparing for what they anticipate will be a request for help from Oklahoma after a tornado swept through Moore, Okla., on Monday afternoon. As of 5 p.m. local time Monday, one volunteer with the Midway-Kansas Chapter of the American Red Cross was scheduled to leave Tuesday. The reason more aren't being immediately sent is because ...
On the record
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler, Canada
After getting off the Greyhound bus I trudged through the Whistler Village to the bottom of Whistler Mountain, and there ...Keep reading
Have Your Say
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Kansas City PostKansas City Post | Kansas City, Ks News Agency
We work strenuously to bring our readers a completely independent perspective of Kansas City news. Our software programmers, editors, journalists and affiliated wire services are all dedicated to producing the best journalism possible.
This in a world where conflicts of interest pervade business empires, and political dynasties, and where a shrinking number of media proprietors are growing their interests at the expensive of diversity of media ownership. The Kansas City Post is an independent online newspaper. Our focus primarily is to produce the latest breaking stories out of Kansas City.
We also cover the nation. Regional news too is a priority, as is our extensive world news coverage. For a Kansas City weather report, local news, breaking international headlines, or what's happening in sports, the Kansas City Post is for you.
Our Business Centre too is active 24 hours a day, bringing you the latest market updates from key global centres like Tokyo, Sydney, London, Paris, Berlin, and New York. Foreign exchange rates are a regular feature, and we provides a vast range of general interest news covering topics like business travel, seniors, womens interest, and lifestyle stories.
University of Missouri researchers have found that simvastatin, a generic type of statin previously sold under the brand name "Zocor," hindered the positive effects of exercise for obese and overweight adults.
Statins, the most widely prescribed drugs worldwide, are often suggested to lower cholesterol and prevent heart disease in individuals with obesity, diabetes and metabolic syndrome, which is a combination of medical disorders including excess body fat and/or high levels of blood pressure, blood sugar and/or cholesterol.
"Daily physical activity is needed to maintain or improve fitness, and thus improve health outcomes. However, if patients start exercising and taking statins at the same time, it seems that statins block the ability of exercise to improve their fitness levels," said John Thyfault, an associate professor of nutrition and exercise physiology at MU.
Thyfault said that many cardiologists want to prescribe statins to all patients over a certain age regardless of whether they have metabolic syndrome; the drugs also are recommended for people with Type 2 diabetes. He recommends that cardiologists more closely weigh the benefits and risks of statins given this new data about their effect on exercise training. ...
- Depardieu to open restaurant in Russian city
- Radcliffe peoples confidant in pubs
- Champions League Final London Pubs Brace for the German Invasion
- Imported wine may face measures
- Wine aged in Charleston Harbor being recovered
- Four mn jobs created in two years Brazilian president
- Andhra markets GAME city at Cannes
- Former Nokia employees make Jolla smartphone
- Govt. employees take pledge against terrorism
- Civil Aviation Minister takes action against erring DGCA officers
- Climate change after cosmic impact may have wiped out wooly mammoths
- Venus Jupiter and Mercury will dance in spring twilight
- All you could hear were screams’
- National Tribute Honors Memory of Sally Ride 1st American Woman in Space
- Extreme Solar Storm Could Cause Widespread Disruptions on Earth
- A quick count for L.A.
- Prayers in public offices
- Goldberg Obamas idiot defense
- GAFFNEY The night that all the lights go out
- SOLOMON Chilling one reporters sources
- Salina commission discusses liquor sales on Sunday
- Sprint to listen to Dish offer
- Sheriff Death in Topeka school lot not suspicious
- Kansas City accelerator program selects 11 startups
- Kansas agencies and volunteers preparing to help Oklahomans
- Yahoo buys blogging platform Tumblr for $1.1 bn cash
- Actavis buying Warner Chilcott in $8.5bn deal
- New business jet Challenger 350 launched by Bombardier
- South African regulator gives nod for Eskom wind power project
- Morgan Stanley to sell Indian private banking arm to StanChart
- Moscow safer than New York Russian minister
- Shocking lawsuit claims NY high schools admissions policy racially biased
- US charges three NYU researchers for taking bribes from Chinese company
- US senators approve immigration changes requiring fingerprint system at 30 airports
- Obama admin to hand over some CIA drone operations to Pentagon
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Kansas City Post headlines delivered to your inbox.
- More tornadoes in store for Central US
- Tucson shooting photos to be released
- Ameren Missouri opens Emergency Operations Center
- Kan. farmers make progress on corn crop
- The 25 deadliest tornadoes in US history